Maybe you don’t have a yoga studio near your house or you are unable to find the money or time to invest in joining a yoga studio. Or maybe you just simply prefer to practice your yoga routine alone at home. That’s cool!
No matter the reason, there are many ways to establish and maintain a stable and strong at-home yoga practice that can support both your physical and mental strength.
Use our following mini-guide to learn the best way to get into yoga at home:
How Do You Do Yoga at Home?
Create a Comfortable Spot
Devote a separate, comfortable spot especially to your yoga routine. If your mat is unrolled and spread at all times, it will be inviting, making going to practice easier. Try to find a location that is quiet, spacious, and peaceful so that you can relax your mind and body as much as possible.
Gather Your Accessories
For doing yoga, the only accessory you really need is a good-quality yoga mat that doesn’t slip. Invest in a mat that lasts long and that can be easily rolled if you prefer to store it after every use. You can also use a piece of carpet for the purpose.
We love this mat because it looks cool, is extra-thick while still being lightweight, and has a sticky factor that keeps you in place.
You might also want to invest in a nice yoga towel, because if you’re doing these poses correctly, you are definitely going to sweat! This best-selling towel is a must in our home yoga space because it is extra-absorbent, eco-friendly and moisture-wicking.
Take Safety Measures
When it comes to exercising, your safety is of utmost importance. Take care of boundaries and be especially mindful of your vulnerable body areas such as the neck, hips, knees, and spine. In case of any kind of pain, adjust or come out of your yoga pose. Never push or force.
Select Your Yoga Style
Clarify your goals and pick a style that works the best for you. Are you looking to relieve stress, lose weight, or boost athleticism through yoga? Is your goal to achieve emotional, spiritual, and physical rehabilitation? Did you know that yoga can improve sexual function and it can also be used to increase arousal? Moreover, you can also practice yoga at home for weight loss. Select a style as per your goals and start practicing with complete awareness.
Relax with Savasana
After you’re done with your yoga practice, it is extremely essential to your body some time to relax. The perfect way to do so is through Savasana. This practice provides your nervous system some extra time to assimilate all the benefits attained during your yoga routine. Not implementing this step can cause unnecessary exhaustion, especially following an intense yoga class.
Lastly, you must aim to make yoga a way of living. Although it is recommended to practice yoga at least four times or more a week, even practicing it once a week will be beneficial! The required duration of your practice solely depends on your goals and on how eager you are to achieve them.
Here are some easy exercises to do at home to lose weight fast with yoga:
In modern yoga practice, the Mountain Pose is a standing asana.
- Stand with your hands at the sides of your body with feet joined together
- Touch the ground near your feet with your hands then lift up through the crown of your head
Your spine will be elongated as your waist and thighs are lifted. It’s a great stretch!
This is a tough one so don’t overdo it if you are a beginner.
- Start by exhaling and folding your legs into a forward bend from the standing position
- If you feel your hamstrings getting a little tight at first, release your spine by bending the knees
- Let your head hang heavy and maintain your position
- Slowly straighten your legs. Your feet can either be touching each other or stay hip’s distance apart
- In this seated pose, exhale and bring your torso over your legs to attempt a forward bend. You will likely feel some “warmth” in your hamstrings as you stretch.
- Focus on your breathing
- Elongate your spine every time you inhale air
- Deepen your forward fold every time you exhale
- While keeping your feet flexed, repeat this pose for up to five full breaths
This one is an amazing stretch.
- While inhaling, raise your arms up and over your head
- Focus and stay aligned
- Stay properly grounded during the reach-up
- Keep your shoulders away from your ears
- Feel free to move your gaze upwards
The Head to Knee pose is a seated asana that involves bending forward and twisting.
- Start in a seated position
- Extend one leg with toes pointing forward
- Bend the other leg with your knee pointing away from the first leg
- Pull the sole of your foot near your groin
- Turn your torso and fold over the extended leg
Practicing yoga regularly at home can help in:
- Building body strength
- Improving your balance
- Relieving stress
- Improving your posture
- Increasing sexual arousal
- Relaxing your body and mind
- Improving your diet
- Improving your focus
- Managing health issues
- Promoting weight loss
Multiple studies and research have confirmed the many physical and mental benefits of yoga. As they say, “Don’t practice yoga to get better at yoga, practice yoga to get better at living.” Incorporate yoga in your everyday routine at home to enhance your health, reduce symptoms of depression, stress, and anxiety and increase your body flexibility and strength.
Find the time to practice it at least a few times per week and gradually, you’ll see it making a noticeable difference!